In Italy, the CEPOL National Unit (CNU) is part of the staff depending from the Director of the Scuola di Perfezionamento per le Forze di Polizia (Interagency Law Enforcement Academy of Advanced Studies). The Director of the Academy is the Italian representative to the CEPOL Management Board, which is the most important decision-making body of the Agency, as well as a voting member at that Board. He gives voice to the different training needs of Italian Police Forces.
La CNU, which is an interagency body, acts as a point of connection, coordination and integration among the potentialities emerging from the services of the various National Police Forces in the field of training. In particular:
- it represents Italy in management and organizational meetings at CEPOL;
- it ensures cooperation among CEPOL and National Police Forces’ Agencies, their Law Enforcement Training Institutes, the Universities and the National Research Centers through partnership agreements in force;
- it organizes CEPOL training activities at domestic level in cooperation with the Agency, with European and international Organizations as well as with other Member States (courses, conferences, seminars, study visits meetings);
- it encourages the most widespread participation of Police Forces’ personnel, both trainers and trainees, in the residential or online training activities organized by the Agency;
- it organizes the participation of Police Forces’ personnel in the European exchange program with Member States and EU partner Countries, as well as in the online training platform LEEd (Law Enforcement Education), link: https://leed.cepol.europa.eu/ ;
- it promotes the relevant research and study activities as well as any proposal reflecting the evolution of the Agency itself as regards the general organization, the contents of the training and the teaching methods;
- it disseminates all over the national territory the innovative results of the overall CEPOL activities, in their European dimension;
- it supports the communication activities both within the Agency and at national level, even promoting the initiatives proposed;
- it participates in the network activities of the Academies partner of FRONTEX, of the Association of European Police Colleges (AEPC) and of other international projects.
The Regulation (UE) 2015/2219 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 25 November 2015, which reformed CEPOL, introduced some important innovations, as:
- the inclusion of further target groups for CEPOL training activities, which has allowed the Police Forces’ personnel of all levels and ranks (including all the Law Enforcement Authorities) to participate to said training activities;
- the inclusion of further partners entitled to organize training activities in Italy, on behalf of the Agency, within all the Law Enforcement Training Institutes, the Universities and the National Research Centers which have signed the four-year partnership agreements with CEPOL;
- the possibility to develop and provide training activities for law enforcement officials from third Countries, in particular the candidate Countries for accession to the European Union as well as the Countries to which the European Neighbourhood Policy applies;
- the possibility to manage the funds allocated to the Union External Assistance to assist third countries in building their skills in the relevant policing areas, in line with the established priorities of the Union;
- the possibility to carry out communication activities on its own initiative in the fields within its mandate.
ACTIVITIES ORGANIZED BY THE CEPOL NATIONAL UNIT IN 2019 AND 2020
- CEPOL Course 69/2019 “SOCIAL NETWORK ANALYSIS”, Rome, 4 – 7 June 2019;
- CEPOL Course 85/2019 “COUNTERING FINANCING OF TERRORISM”, Rome, 25 – 28 June 2019;
- Study visit for the CT2 CEPOL Project “ANALYSIS TECHNIQUES IPDR/CDR IN RELATION TO COUNTER-TERRORISM”, Rome, 26 – 30 August 2019;
- CEPOL Course 91/2019 “HOSTILE ENVIRONMENT AWARENESS TRAINING”, Laives (BZ), 10 – 15 November 2019;
- Study visit for the EUROMED POLICE IV Project “COUNTERING FINANCING OF TERRORISM”, Rome, 26 – 30 November 2019;
- Study visit for the CT2 CEPOL Project “IT TECHNOLOGY FOR JORDANIAN GENDARMERIE”, Rome , 3 – 5 December 2019;
- Study visit for the CT2 CEPOL Project “EXPOLSIVES FOR TUNISIAN POLICE FORCES”, Rome, 17 – 19 March 2020, which has been postponed due to COVID-19 epidemiological emergency;
- CEPOL Project “ WESTERN BALKANS FINANCIAL INVESTIGATIONS “CONFERENCE AND CLOSING CEREMONY”, Rome, 3 – 5 March 2020, which has been postponed due to the COVID-19 epidemiological emergency;
- CEPOL Course 85/2020 “COUNTERING FINANCING OF TERRORISM”, Rome, 21 – 24 June 2019, which has been postponed due to the COVID-19 epidemiological emergency;
PARTICIPATION OF ITALIAN PERSONNEL IN CEPOL ACTIVITIES CARRIED OUT IN 2019
- 276 applications submitted to partecipate in CEPOL Courses (including the Interagency Central Directorates: 131 submitted by Police Officers from the National Police, 96 from the Guardia di Finanza Corps, 45 from the Carabinieri Corps and 4 from the Prison Police );
- 153 Police officers attending CEPOL Courses (including the Interagency Central Directorates: 64 from the National Police, 58 from the Guardia di Finanza Corps and 31 from the Carabinieri Corps);
- 26 applications: 17 Police Officers participated in the CEPOL Exchanhe Programme (10 from the National Police, 5 from the Guardia di Finanza Corps and 2 from the Carabinieri Corps).